Friday, May 25, 2007

Five down. One to go.

Hello, all. I finished my fifth chemo last night about 8 pm. Only one more, scheduled for June 19th, the Tuesday after Ann's and Mark's wedding. Dr. Fighter Pilot (Valero) said he really didn't like moving dates like that; I pointed out to him that we'd done it before, when he'd had jury duty. He said O.

Yesterday's schedule was done by a person that MD Anderson obviously hired from the airlines. Blood work at 7. Heart scan at 8. Heart scan takes a while, but I had 45 minutes before the third appointment, which should have been enough, but of course the heart scan machine had a broken heart or something. So I had to go climb onto another one and was running behind by the time they were through. I raced to the third appointment. Valero was running only about an hour late. I was out of there by 11:30. My next appointment -- the chemo -- was scheduled for 5 PM!!

Of course all beds are booked all day long. I went on up to infusion and asked to be put on standby. I got in at 4:15. By then my blood pressure was reading a little high (!), so we had to find me a blood pressure med before we could start infusing. I called Chuck at 7:30, and he and Casey picked me up just before 8 pm. Not so bad.

Honestly there must be 50 beds in that unit and they were ALL full, all day. Folks are dying to get in there. ahee. Sorry.

I do sometimes feel like kind of a fraud because I'm not sick, exactly. So many of those people look just awful and you know they feel like hell, too. I'm just annoyed and retaining fluid.

We're coming up to the holiday weekend, and I'll be down and whining by Sunday morning but hopefully bouncing back by Tuesday. Busy days ahead.

Hope all are well. We are fine. Soon there will be hair!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! HAIR!!!

Let's happily sing a round of lyrics from the long-running musical:

"...Gimme head with hair
Long beautiful hair
Shining, gleaming,
Streaming, flaxen, waxen

Give me down to there hair
Shoulder length or longer
Here baby, there mama
Everywhere daddy daddy

Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair..."

;-)

Brenda

Anonymous said...

Chemo No Mo'

Don't care how long you go,
I don't care how long you stay,
Its good kind "treatment",
Bring you home someday.
Someday baby, no chemo for you, anymore.

Appologies to Gregg Allman, not that he would notice!

Rob M.

Pat Wente said...

I love you musical types!

Kelley Coyner said...

Pat---please tell NPR that their cancer blog is just not up to snuff. Or perhaps I will. Yours is so much more entertaining and much better written. Hope this blog does you as much good as it does your friends. Hope to see you when I am in Houston in a couple of weeks. Kelley