Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My Favorite Thing About Houston

Experienced it again the other night: Houston Ballet. Oh geez oh pete, as Fred would say. Our ballet just gets better and better with each season. Chuck and I have been ballet fans for a long time, and we feel like we've watched it grow up into this world-class dance company.

We're not the only people who feel this way; witness the run of "Mao's Last Dancer" at River Oaks Theatre. A great story of Li Cunxin, it's also a love letter to Houston Ballet. Should have been a two-week engagement, generally speaking, but it has played for more than a month now. Wow!

So, Saturday night's program, Jewels, was spectacular. And I recommend reading Molly Ancelin Glentzer's Chronicle reviews ahead of time to both educate and generate excitement. Balanchine is the reason for neo-classical ballet, and seeing these three pieces helped me better understand the source of the lines and movement and rhythm that I've come to love.

In the middle of the Ruby piece was the Faure movement that Carole and I used to play as a flute and piano duet. What an evocative melody, for so many reasons.

The Diamonds piece showcased Mimi, the prima ballerina, and our new Chinese dancer. He's going to be our next Li!

That's all I know about ballet and music. But love me some Houston Ballet.

2 comments:

pinktoo said...

Would love to see the ballet in Houston. A definite possibility for my next visit to Texas.

Claire said...

I say bravo to your review!