Saturday, June 04, 2011

I choose to try to stay focused on something

Please take a look at this new website. A half dozen "middle-aged women" are going to take the mountain. Kilimanjaro, in September. I am not kidding. The theme is WE CHOOSE TO CLIMB!

http://wechoosetoclimb.com/index.html

I train with them some days, and in my imagination I will be going with them. But in real life, the odds of my going are slim and none. Nevertheless, I am enthusiastic about their cause and their motivation motivates ME! Go figure!

Wednesday evening, the group made a trek of about 6 miles; I did four and was pretty impressed with myself. It was 98 degrees at 6:30 in the evening when we started out; when I drove home at 8 pm, it was down to 93.

Friday morning, I thought I'd do it again and decided to go to Memorial Park to walk the 3 mile circuit. I had my morning chai; then I ate a hard-boiled egg. I was going to eat some other stuff but then got on the phone for a while. When I noticed it was 11 am, I thought, "I'd better get out of here." Started walking at 11:15 with a light backpack, hat, sunscreen, two bottles of water. I was fine. Until mile 2, when I ran out of gas. I wasn't too hot, my legs weren't sore, I just couldn't GO. The sun was exactly overhead, so there was little shade. I slogged a few hundred steps, then rested. Then slogged a few more. I honestly wasn't certain I was going to make it. I'm embarrassed to say that it took me more than an hour and a half. So now I know: don't go without having eaten. Shana says two eggs and oatmeal. I'll try that tomorrow morning and see if I can do it without fainting this time.

1 comment:

Deb said...

Girlfriend, You are da bomb! Pat, you're a very strong lady and it's a pleasure to be part of the wild women, We Choose to Climb Kilimanjaro group however, I have a bone to pick with you! Middle aged??? I still prefer to think of myself as a young spring chick! You too! Missed you this morning for the long trek. You're an inspiration. Keep coming out and you'll be walking 6 miles or more in no time without breaking a sweat, well maybe a little since this is Houston! I was very proud of you for doing 4 the other night girl. Deb