Monday, June 20, 2011

Well that was fast. Or was it?

Yesterday, appropriately Juneteenth (if you're not from Texas, ask somebody), was the fourth anniversary of my last chemotherapy! I was diagnosed just before Christmas in 2006 and had right-side mastectomy on Jan 31. Began chemo on February 28. Had five rounds, three weeks apart (except for a rescheduling in order to help wrangle Ann Taylor's and Mark Smith's wedding) and finished on Tuesday, June 19th! My, how time flies . . .

So much has happened since then. Aegis went under. Chuck had an angioplasty. Casey got weirder. I went to work for Exterran, then landed in what I thought would be my dream job. And that's when the nightmare began.

Now I'm able to "take it easy" between panic attacks. And what keeps me going, I am CERTAIN, is being able to work on my physical health. Seeing improvements in my strength and fitness gives me some of the satisfaction that I used to derive from my professional career. I don't know if I'll ever develop a PASSION for fitness and working out and sweating, but I'm able to do more of it with less whining, and that's a plus for everyone involved.

Happy Juneteenth to all . . . no matter what you celebrate!

1 comment:

yogini said...

What other friend would postpone a chemo treatment just to be your wedding maven?!? Maybe I should clarify: to be wedding maven when you're marrying your 3rd husband? (3rd, final and ABSOLUTELY VERY BEST, she hastened to add).

I celebrate you often and for many reasons, Pat Wente! You have been a true friend, co-conspirator, unpaid psychotherapist, and inspiration.

Happy to proclaim your emancipation from chemo, too.

Ann