Thursday, July 24, 2008

Would you forget your roots?

My friend Ann says, "After the untimely passing of Tim Russert, many tributes honored him as a man who never forgot his roots, never forgot where he came from." She goes on to say, having recently seen a photograph of the people she went to high school with, that she WISHES she could forget where she came from! And then [this is so Ann-like], she worries that Karl Rove might consider her elitist.

We of course consider Karl Rove a child molester, but that's beside the point.

Here's today's survey: have you ever been to your high school reunion? If yes, more than one? Would you go again? Take the poll! You may also answer in an essay. We love stories about people who act up at high school reunions, don't we, Ann?

3 comments:

yogini said...

I could now be content with my own "untimely passing," having achieved a favorable mention on Patwente's blog.

I went to my 10th. It was depressing. The BMOC was a guy who bought the Sonic drive-in down the street from our high school, where most of us went for lunch senior year. He owned "A" Sonic = one, but you would've thought he was Bill Gates.

The best part was the guy who had big ears, red hair, terrible posture and was captain of the debate team. (did I even need to add the last thing?) He'd become an attorney with some very important job in DC. He flew in on a private jet with an obviously rented bombshell on his arm. I found him recently on Facebook and he lists his employment as "Homeland Security."

People who work for "Homeland Security" probably shouldn't be allowed to put that on Facebook, should they? Maybe "Homeland Security" employees spend too much time tinkering with their Facebook profiles, which explains how people with explosives in their sneakers manage to get on airplanes.

But, I digress.

I went to the 25th reunion of the class that graduated the year before mine.

It was depressing, too. The skinny guy who had a crush on me junior year had become a fabulously handsome commerical airline pilot with a gorgeous wife. One of my favorite people, who I'd hoped to see there, told someone he wasn't coming because he was too fat.

Ann

Faith G said...

I went to my 10th. It was okay, not a disaster. But I was so surprised that the snobby girl was still snobby, even after having a baby of her own now. And the drunken sot was still drinking too much and grabbing womens behinds.

Anonymous said...

I went to my 30th (I think). At first I thought I was in the wrong place because there was so many old bastards there. Then I ran into an old girlfriend who was dressed in what I think is called "Goth". Yea, all black EVERYTHING; fingernails, toenails, hair, lipstick, clothes. What, did you think this was a friggin costume party, or what? I'm pretty much thinking that's my last one.