Thursday, March 22, 2007

Becoming More Chemo-Savvy

Tuesday was a long day. Many clusterf***s at MD Anderson. Liz was right. The medicine part is good but the administration is BROKEN. They had to draw blood twice. Let's see. I'm a chemo patient. I'm in a cancer hospital. Wonder if I need the CBCs checked. Nope. Yes? Ok. Stick her again.

I had no appt with the oncologist scheduled, despite attempting to leave messages into the full voice mailbox of the busiest person at MD Anderson -- his scheduler. When I finally got in front of her and kicked a chair, she told me it was the doctor's fault. I told her we should have him fired -- how could I have blood work and chemo scheduled without the oncologist? Then she blamed the nurses. I said we should have them fired too. So when I got in to see Valero and his nurse, I told them that the scheduler and I had decided they were both fired, since they're not doing their jobs.

Chemo started an hour late. Still not sure why. I was there, but my orders weren't. I like the port; that is a pretty carefree way to be hooked up to something. Slick. Doesn't hurt.

Then I reacted to one of the drugs about an hour into things. Woooooeeeee. It was kind of like what happens when Carole eats strawberries, times three or five.

They got benadryl and more steroids into me and started over. So dear Linda's three hours at chemo with Pat turned into SIX. Long day. We didn't get home until after 10, I think. We played two games of Scrabble and then watched TV. The benadryl knocked me out.

The double dose of steroids might have cost me my career yesterday when I went all postal on a conference call. Fred smoothed things over, but there are more eruptions today over my telling a bunch of salespeople that they are WRONG and don't know CRAP about branding a company. I am pretty sure I even pointed out that NO Coca-Cola distributor gets to paint his truck blue, and did they know why that was? Anyway, rough day. And I am not too popular.

Went to the gym this morning. Shana "stretched" me for a while and then we did light weights. I'm blonde today. Already feeling dumber!

I know I'm going to feel like death on a cracker starting tonight or tomorrow. At least I know there's a light at the end of that short tunnel. And as Kelly Coyner says, the SECOND one is now behind me. Only six to go!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to get an update and to know that second one is over. You will done with these inconvenient and pesky things in no time, but then you will have no excuse for telling people to kiss off. ;-)
Brenda

Pat Wente said...

You are so right. I can only play this cancer card for so long before it's all dog-eared.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I think that branding rant was absolutely atributable to some Jungian "collective consciousness" event. I think I delivered a similar rant on the same time frame. We'll be lovely together in our unemployment. Or, we'll be stars noted for our "take no crap" model of delivering our genius.
Go, Pat, go!
Oh, and for everyone else's benefit, I think I maybe learned that branding speech from Pat.
Pat, I think about you every day. You're rockin' this whole chemo thing. Keep it up.

Kelley Coyner said...

Tim will love that you put in As Kelley Coyner said.... at least I am not quoting myself as in As I said on Face the Nation.

After this account I cannot wait to say no more chemo. Not to worry we will look for other excuses to tell people to kiss off!

Glad to see you back on the blog!

Pat Caver said...

It is hard to believe that they can screw things up so badly. They sure know how to raise money and build buildings. So keep kicking them chairs, girl -- they need it. The health and happiness of somebody we love is at stake.