Saturday, March 10, 2007

Having a big day: sewing up dog toys. How about U?

Lovely warm -- low 80s -- day in Houston today. Remind me, when I start to complain about summer, how COLD I was in February. I dragged out the sewing machine and the sewing basket and have been sewing up dog toys today, but I fear they won't hold once you-know-who decides to do that death-rattle thing with them. You can almost hear his thoughts: "I'll break its neck! I'll break its neck!" At least I tried. I also cut up a comforter into dog-bed sized rectangles and sewed around the edges, so we have extra dog binkies.

But I am no Mama Lela or Auntie Myrtle. My sewing is pretty primitive. If anyone asks, I'll say Casey did it and I helped him.

I hope I'm not jinxing things, but Chuck may have found the recipe for success for wearing out the dog. He took Casey out yesterday to the vacant lot across the street, took him off the leash, and threw a stick for him for a while. He reported that Casey was much better and less kwazy on his walk after that and calmer the rest of the day. We just can't let him off the leash generally speaking, except out onto the patio, where he usually stands at the back door and complains to get back in. TODAY, Chuck took him out for stick throwing TWICE, and then I took him a third time while Chuck planted basils. Chuck and I are both upstairs now and the dog is downstairs under the kitchen table, close to unconsciousness. He usually needs to be wherever Chuck is, or if Chuck isn't home, he wants to be where I am. This is very good news. We may have a normal dog -- but again, do whatever it is you do to unjinx something.

Other good news is that this is day 11 after chemo 1, and I feel really pretty good. I'd give myself an 85% on energy/normal-feeling, maybe an 88 or a 90. My bosses have very graciously allowed me to use a couple of mornings a week to meet my trainer at the gym, and we believe doing this early in the day as opposed to trying to last until 6 pm will help with my energy levels. One annoying side effect is I think from the steroids used in the chemo. My complexion, not known for its peaches and cream tendencies anyway, is just wrecked. I look like The Last Days of Lyle Alzedo (extra points if you get the reference).

I went to the gym Thursday morning with no makeup on -- must have been frightening for everyone there -- but when I came out of the locker room, showered, made-up, wigged-up, and business-suited, dear Luis who works behind the counter said, "You look beautiful." That just made my day.

We have bartending duties at Linda Walsh's photo exhibition this afternoon at Te over on Fairview and Woodhead. After that I think we're headed to dinner with Anna and Lucy. Love to everyone. All is well.

And hi, Aunt Evelyn. You're right! A real letter is a super treat! There's one coming your way in return!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pat:
Such a brilliant post deserves at least one comment. Lyle Alzado, he took the other kind of steriods, not the kind you're on. But he's also an entire chapter in the book "The Last Days of Dead Celebrities." God I love Google. Reading about your low energy, yucky days, I wish I could make you lots of pot pies.
Ann

Unknown said...

You could try sending Casey to the Sherwin Williams "just across the bayou" to get paint samples. Pat and I walked there the other day, and Dad had to come pick us up at a taco stand. Actually, we weren't tired from walking, just pressed for time and the taco place was unusually slow..it did seem a lot closer in the car.

Sister Carole said...

Mama Lela? Mama Lela's fat butt! Who just made you a minkie robe?!

Pat Wente said...

Sorry, Carole. You're a good sewer too. My reference was to two elderly ladies who are no longer with us. HOWEVER, if you want to be included in that group . . . As you said, You're 'pushing' 70.

OOOOOH. I gonna be in trouble now.