Sunday, March 18, 2007

Hair today. Gone tomorrow.

Friday morning, after I'd washed and dried my hair, I finished it in the usual way -- running styling "mud" through it with my fingers. Handsful of hair came out. So, this afternoon, my dear husband sat me in the bathroom and shaved it off for me with his barber clippers. Now there's an intimate moment.

My hair is now about 1/16th of an inch long, except where there isn't any. I am experimenting with numerous do-rags, turbans, and scarves. Charmy sent me several that may be helpful. I'll wear wigs to work and in public so as not to frighten co-workers and children. The pirate look may be my best bet for casual wear and the gym. With a very short burr haircut, though, I look a lot like Danny Skaggs. Note to Tommy: my head is NOT shaped like yours after all. But my unadorned face is perfectly round; if it were yellow and I had black dots for eyes, I could model for Wal-Mart.

Other than that, a nice weekend. Amy Mata came from Shreveport and we talked and talked and shopped and talked and ate. Douglas, her 21 year old Rice senior, met us for dinner on Friday night and he is so, so cool. She's proud of both of her boys, for good reason.

Our big event happened when she was helping me dog-wrangle Casey home from a walk yesterday afternoon. She tripped over the very uneven sidewalks in the Montrose and went sprawling. She probably could have caught herself if she hadn't had a 55 lb dog pulling on her as she went down. She tore her slacks and skinned both knees, bunged up her hand and wrist, and landed ever-so-not-softly on her cheek on a concrete step. We are lucky her face wasn't broken, but she may have sprained a wrist. I was just sick. After dinner, as she sat on the sofa with an icepack on her face, Casey jumped up beside her and put his head in her lap. Still didn't help her bruised and scraped face, though. She was meeting old friends for brunch this morning; we sent along a photo of Casey so she could show how the thing happened. Otherwise, they might have believed something worse . . . "No, my husband and I DO get along."

Chemo #2 on Tuesday. Batten down the hatches!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm visualizing Persis Khambatta from Star Trek TMP.
Rob M.

Anonymous said...

I think on casual Fridays here at the office you should go for the doo rag. We can all get them and show our support.

Pat Wente said...

Yes, but Rob, you're ALWAYS visualizing Persis Khambatta . . . only kidding, Carol.

I really like casual doo (do?) rag days. This will be excellent.

Anonymous said...

And if I was visualizing Walmart smiley faces? That would just be so, so wrong!
Rob M.

Anonymous said...

You can borrow my pink Harley Davidson doo rag, so you can have some 'tude with your doo.

Ann

Kelley Coyner said...

Andrew likes the pirate look, wants his head shaved, and will certainly want to wear a do rag to preschool everyday now. Not sure that it is in solidarity. Not a lot of that in a three year old. I am willing to wear a doo rag too. I won't be making up my face as a Walmart smiley face---- at least intentionally. By the time you see this another chemo will be crossed off the calendar ...hurray.
Love from the Coyner Sears gang

Anonymous said...

Hope the second chemo went OK. Oh, and who is Danny Skaggs?
Margaret

Pat Wente said...

Danny Skaggs is one of my cousins. He's a handsome guy, but somehow it doesn't translate . . . And in profile I look a lot like Grandpa Charlie Wente.