Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Details about Surgery

Ok. Here we go.

I go in tomorrow morning at 6 a.m., which means that I'll probably go into the OR at 8 or so. Surgery should run about 3-1/2 hours, after which I go to recovery, then to a room later in the day.

Chuck and Claire are taking me, and Anna Garrett is meeting us there. We will be going to the Main Building at MD Anderson Cancer Center. The address, if you need it, is 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, 77030. The parking garage that's closest to that building is at Entrance 2 off of Holcombe, at an intersection also named MD Anderson Blvd. (No, I didn't think it was a very creative street name either.)

The pre-op sheet says I can eat until midnight. (YAY!) Actually, it says don't eat anything AFTER midnight, but you interpret it your way, and I'll interpret it my way. The sheet also says that I cannot wear any make-up tomorrow morning, but they may want to re-think that in my case. If I'm out cold and not wearing ANY makeup under those lights, they may perform an autopsy instead of a mastectomy.

Claire will have my cell phone -- 713 819 0334 -- for those who want updates, but we'll also post here. She'll have her laptop and can log on, so that you can find out where I am and how fabulously I'm doing. Chuck and Claire will be in the waiting room on Floor 5 near Elevator E during the surgery, at least that's where the sheet says they're supposed to be.

I'm already sick of pink ribbons, offered to me over and over by well-meaning volunteers who also insist on giving me chocolate. Please. Have they SEEN my butt? Why would anyone do that?

Gifts? Any extra vycodin would be GREAT.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad it's not going to be 8 hours (see previous post). As for gifts, Alice just had her wisdom teeth out . . . we'll see what we have left over.

Kucha said...

Pat, I hope your surgeon reads the directions before he starts! I didn't and my original comments are out there somewhere!

I've been sitting here for the past hour--I should be working--thinking about a "Pat Gift." I thought about dropping off dinner next week . . . I don't cook! So dinner is out! Cookies? I can handle cookies!! But that means a cookie for Pat and a a cookie for Jean. Cookies are out! A book? You probably have piles sitting around the house that you're now dusting off! No book! This gift thing for Pat is causing . . .Benadryl! That's it! No, I'm not going to run out now and buy you some Benadryl; too much traffic! But, if you itch after surgery, you need Benadryl!!! Seriously, Pat, you're in my prayers!! Good luck!!! Jean

PS - Dennis proposed after my wisdom teeth were removed! Chuck????