Wednesday, January 31, 2007

I'm kinda sleepy, but she's been wide awake...

Hi, everyone. Claire and Chuck just left to visit Casey for a few minutes. Patty is finally napping after a big of dose of morphine at 3:30 (no visible result...was still making phone calls) then an even bigger dose of vicodin (finally seemed to do the job). Apparently too many wine popsicles creates a high tolerance for pain meds.

She's in room 1126. We keep getting calls for some guy named David. I just yelled at the poor woman who called a few minutes ago (call #4 in 4 minutes) and told her that there's NO DAVID ANYWHERE NEAR HERE, SO DON'T CALL BACK PLEASE, YOU'RE WAKING UP PAT. Then I unplugged the phone. So needless to say, if you call the room, we probably won't answer.

If Pat's feeling good enough, she gets to go home tomorrow. The way the docs are talking, it sounds like that's going to be pretty much up to her. (If you have to spend time in a hospital, this is the place. They're pretty amazing.)

It's all good, and I'm in full nurse/mom/sister/niece mode, ready to fight for justice and pain meds. Oops, I got the order wrong...

Love from Anna and sleepy Pat in room 1126!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell her we love her - I was going to call Chuck, but this has been so informative I don't know what I would ask him that ya'll haven't already reported (other than, how's he doing? Somewhat relieved, I'm sure). I'll check in again tomorrow - give her a hug for me periodically - she won't remember since she's dopey, so I'm writing this down!!

Thanks!

Gerda

Anonymous said...

Only Pat Wente would be on the phone right after surgery. Anna, sounds like you are doing a great job being Pat's advocate. That is something that you really need, but most people never tell you.

Please tell Pat that we are thinking of her, love her and can't wait until she is up for wine, and I don't mean popsicles.

Hope Pat and the rest of you guys are able to get some sleep tonight. Will check in tomorrow.

Carol G.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you, Pat. Chuck, too. And praise to those of you who are acting as Pat's advocates. That's a big job, since Pat is a good advocate for herself. In a good way, I should say.
Pat, glad to hear that you're utilizing the pain meds. They rock - for a couple of days anyway. Then, they turn and are awful.
Snowy again in Tulsa. (There goes my theory that one or two snow/ice days a year does not necessitate a 4-wheel-drive vehicle.) As a result of my recent logical (perhaps emotional in hindsight) decision to purchase yet another small, rear-wheel-drive vehicle, I am encamped at a hotel about 12 miles from my home. Yes, in the same metro where I reside. Sad. Very sad. Husband at home. Butt-sledding again, no doubt.

Unknown said...

9pm - she's still awake but hallucinating about armadillos and cupcakes..

Richard said...

Happy, and thankful, to hear all the good news. This blog is a terrific way to get all of us the essentials on you - it must have been invented by Chuck. I can only imagine his phone ringing out of his pocket otherwise. (Thanks Claire.)

Don't forget to tell Anna all your morphine dreams so she can write them down. We have a collection going. Maybe you can add them to your stand up routine.

Richard said...

Oh, and we love you too!

yogini said...

Now this is when you know you've really made it. People not only go on your blog to find out how you are doing, they email their friends and discuss your blog and how you are doing. Here's one from an Aegis co-worker "Oh, you should see the activity around here concerning Pat. It is amazing the amount of friends she has. Actually, it isn’t considering the type of person she is. People just gravitate to her. If I have half the people care about me like they do for Pat, I’d still consider myself a lucky person."
Thought Pat might appreciate that, when she stops hallucinating about armadillo cupcakes.

Anonymous said...

Good morning, Mom.

Come home soon.
Love and miss you!
Casey