Saturday, February 17, 2007

I've changed my mind. I don't want to do this anymore.

I will start chemo on or around the 27th. HOWEVER, before that, I have to have a port (a portable catheter) installed. I was thinking it would work like "snap-on tools," or tupperware or something, but apparently I need to undergo anesthesia for this. Amy, did I spell that right?

Anyway, I'm bummed today. I'm achy and itchy. I still have a stupid surgical drain, and I gotta tell you, the novelty has worn off on that device as well.

It's noon. Chuck made a great waffle and sausage breakfast, and while perusing the morning paper, we read about Dole recalling canteloupes. We had just finished ours and are hopeful it was salmonella-free. Time will tell.

Carole and I are trying to find a reason to get dressed; we haven't come up with any really good ones yet. I am in pjs, with my hair sticking straight up, and a drain hanging from my waist. Carole is wearing her minkee caftan and slippers. We're still more formally attired, however, than most of the people who shop at TJ Maxx or Marshall's, so we could go over there WITHOUT having to change.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just got back from Aruba and wanted to catch up on your progress. Sorry to hear you have to have the chemo, but it's a drastic way to lose weight! I told Eddie we need to cancel our long-term care insurance and just move to Aruba. Then, if I get too old to take care of myself, he can just put me on a raft and send me out to sea. We'll have to get together so you can see my cool tan. You might not recognize me with color! Talk to you soon.
JP

Anonymous said...

How funny. I was just at TJ Maxx and Marshalls, and there were lots of interesting ensembles there (bold fashion statements), I agree. But where else can you spend 3 hours and $50 and get all those "treasures"? We should meet at Charlie's for a burger-- just say when.
Brenda

Unknown said...

This one is a real cliffhanger - did they ever get out of their pjamas??..were the cantaloupes ok??!!

The port thing sounds like major points towards monkey china rewards. Is there a serving platter in the set?

Anonymous said...

LMAO!!! Senior finally got me your blog post page... and you need to imagine... I am sitting here laughing out loud while John and the kids are saying, "What, what is so funny..." and all I can say as I am reading is, "...it is so funny!" I completely lost it when I envisioned you at TJ MAXX in a bath robe with "sticky upy hair." I am glad to hear that your spirits are high!

BTW...Good thing you didn't have Peter Pan Peanut Butter with your cantaloupe!!!

Love ya
Niki

Pat Wente said...

Hi, Niki! How nice to hear from you. I'm doing ok. And Claire: We did finally get out of our pajamas. And that canteloupe was non-poisonous. Brenda: Any time. Joyce: dying to see your tan.

Anonymous said...

Ok, sounds like you had a bummer day; but keep in mind you looked really hot in the wig I saw on Friday. I'm personally looking forward to the Uma blonde one.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to have been away from you and your blog so long.

Was at the Dallas wedding reception for Mr. Wonderful's #1 daughter. Who knew Dave & Buster's would be the perfect venue to celebrate the quickie nuptuals of a couple who met two weeks prior on My Space! Sadly, no stuffed cherry tomatoes at this fete, but there were free videogame tokens and skeeball...

Really thought Mark might require some kind of surgical drain installed to get him through the experience but he managed without medical intervention.

Still amazed how well as you've handled your various adventures in new hairstyles and high tech undergarments.

You accepting visitors, MsWente?

Anonymous said...

I LOVE SKEEBALL!!!