Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Chemo Starts Tomorrow -- 2/28

Ok. Here we go. I go in tomorrow morning for a port-a-cath installation (different than a port-a-potty) and then chemo sometime later in the day. The first chemo session will take about four hours, they say. Then I go every three weeks, for eight sessions total. Not so bad. It's do-able, I surmise, because there are SO many ##@$&%*## people wandering around MDA doing it.

I will be more susceptible to infection, so guess what? I am not allowed to handle dog waste (!). Sorry, Chuck. Maybe in six months. Also need to be careful about being around sick people and need to wash my hands a lot. Other than that, no big problems. Everything they want me to do (eat several small, sensible meals daily, exercise, drink a lot of non-caffeinated and non-alcoholic beverages) are things I should be doing anyway.

Wish me luck!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'd mentioned chemo would be starting around now, and we've been thinking about you. Port-a-caths do seem weird, but I'm sure it's better than being stuck with a needle every time. Best of luck, girl! (Everyone who posts here is so witty; it's hard to be first.)
Margaret and Alice
P.S. In order for your blonde wig to resemble the hairstyles of the bad girls in my junior high more accurately, you'll have to tease it up a lot.

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the chemo treatment. My moneys on you, even if you did get beat at scrabble. I haven't seen the other hair yet, but I definitely have a soft spot for blondes. If you decide to go for the "natural look", I volunteer to shave my head in support. Should take me all of 2 or 3 minutes!
Talk to you soon.
Tommy

Pat Wente said...

My biggest concern about being bald headed is that I'll look exactly like you. Not that you're not a cute guy, but Grandpa Skaggs's ears on a woman are in no way a fashion statement.

Anonymous said...

Well, at least there is some upside to chemo. No dog walking!

Hang in there, and let us know how you are doing.

Carol G.

Unknown said...

GOOD LUCK PAT! Sorry I missed your call - Tim had a late basketball game, and I just saw the msg. I will call Dad's phone for an update this afternoon.

Anonymous said...

Well, if you can't be around sick people; you can't come to the office. There's more hacking up in here than a lumberjack in a pine forest.

Anonymous said...

The monkeys are thinking about you and we're scatching and wondering if you are ok...

Anonymous said...

You'll come through all of it with flying colors! That's not a suggestion to go wild with wig colors, though. All the B'dales send their best.

Anonymous said...

Hope all went well today. Was thinking about you all day. Looking forward to the update.
linda